World Pi Day with Emma Haruka Iwao
World Pi Day is behind us, but our guest today, Emma Iwao, joins hosts Gabi and Mark to teach us all about pi. Pi is the constant of the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Anytime you see a circle on a computer, pi has been used. It’s vital for everything from gaming to calculating rocket trajectories!
Emma crushed the world record for calculating digits of pi using Google Cloud over four months! Listen in to hear more about how she did it!
Emma Haruka Iwao
Emma is a developer advocate for Google Cloud Platform, focusing on application developers’ experience and high performance computing. She has been a C++ developer for 15 years and worked on embedded systems and the Chromium Project. Emma is passionate about learning and explaining the most fundamental technologies such as operating systems, distributed systems, and internet protocols. Besides software engineering, she likes games, traveling, and eating delicious food.
Cool things of the week
- The Next OnAir site is live today and provides many of the details viewers could be looking for ahead of the event site
- Get Google Cloud Certified at Next ‘19: What you need to know blog
- Game Playing on Google Maps (see more at GDC) blog
- Your mission, gumshoe: Catch Carmen San Diego in Google Earth blog
- Y-cruncher site
- Join the pi-31415926535897 Google Group group
- Fetching pi digits site
- Pi digit snapshots site
Question of the week
Where can you find us next?
Mark Mandel and Gabriela Ferrara
Continue the conversation
Leave us a comment on Reddit